Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Asis

I have my  non-negotiable duty of visiting my youngest son every weekend at  Sekolah Menengah Sains Alam Shah or popularly known as ASIS in Cheras, KL. Although the preordained visits are a bit tiring it nonetheless is a welcome one. My time will be fully occupied during the weekends. During the visit we would have an early lunch around 1 pm or a very heavy tea at around 4 pm. But  the visits mainly would  be fully occupied with food related activities. In one of the visits last week my son complained of having  a bad stomachache. As usual he would display a sleepy and a fatigue looking face and practically begging me to take him back home for treatment.Of course as a responsible father I would say" No" A big no. There is no way that I would bring him back home just for the diarrhea. But the  soft side of me would always get bent and I finally relented. And I  ultimately gave in to my son's wishes with one  condition attached that he would get permission from the hostel master. However, this is no easy task for my son especially to convince Mr Allen, the stern looking  hostel master. This  is a no nonsense guy who would not bend one inch.His face is stoic and known for as a strict disciplinarian. During the weekend he would hover around the Surau and at the picnic places around the school. Most students at ASIS and some parents too would be would be petrified of seeing him.

As soon as I said a reluctant  "yes" slowly he walked to the hostel office where Mr Allen was stationed. My son was looking so tensed and nervous and rehearsing  the sentences that he would be using with the hostel master. I was at his back as usual  giving my moral support. My presence behind his back was not actually to give him moral support but to listen to what he has to say. After giving salam, in a slow stuttering  voice he introduced himself to Mr Allen and whispered  that he urgently  needed to go back home this Sunday afternoon. In a stuttering manner he said, "Sir, I have  gonorrhea. I need to go back home to get treatment." .My Allen was shocked. I too was startled by his revelation.It cannot be that my son has a gonorrhea, a form of STD. But actually what he wanted to say to Mr Allen was 'diarrhea'. Mr Allen who is  known for his strict and stern person could not hide his feelings  and burst into a loud laughter. I too laughed loudly. "Since you have gonorrhea and need a treatment I  hereby give  you my permission to return home".Muttered cynically Mr Allen with a very strong husky voice. My son was not aware that he said gonorrhea and not diarrhea until I told him later. He too burst into laughter. My son  was back not just until Monday but extended until Wednesday courtesy of the doctor who treated him .He  was also a student of ASIS. Long Live ASIS





































No comments: