Monday, April 16, 2012

Women drivers

I've attained my half a century "age medal" in January this year 2012. It's just like a surreal thing  to be at that age considering that I am still very healthy aside from some minor irritations to the knees. Yours truly can still jog slowly or do some brisk walking. But one thing that I despise doing now is driving especially in and around KL. I would always offer my children to be the "supir" (driver) if they are back at home from the college. Talking about driving I remember I got my license when I was 18 in the first attempt while  I was studying at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. It was really a milestone and a big achievement for me to be "conferred" the driving license especially at that age.
They wil scream at you first.

I can  still remember that my first car that I shared with my Kedahan friends was a green colour four door Buick Le Sabre. It was  a super smooth 8 cylinder car with a displacement of around 5,000 cc. The car was very quiet at above highway speed limit  and it was sold by a professor at the university for a mere 800 US dollars. But it was a large sum of money for a pauper Malaysian student. We were getting a monthly allowance of 280 US dollars. Since the day that  I got the driving license , I had so much of experience driving not only in the United States but also in the United Kingdom, Mexico, Canada, France, Romania, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam, Saudi Arabia and Hong Kong. I have to say that driving in Indonesia in Jakarta, and Vietnam was not easy. The traffic was chaotic but at least the motorists follow the flow or the traffic system. 
One of the things that women drivers can do

However, I have to admit that I don't like driving in Malaysia. The drivers generally drive  very fast and sometimes recklessly. This is especially true of women drivers. They would just zig zag in between the traffic. This is a common driving feature  of young women drivers especially those driving  Perodua Kancils. They would drive with their dark shades on and sometimes texting or chatting over the phone while driving. The biggest sin  that they they like to do and that I don't forgive them is not yielding to the vehicles that circle the roundabout. By right the vehicle that is about to "enter" the roundabout would have to give way to the other vehicles at the roundabout.   What happens is that these women drivers would just squeeze in and drive straight onto the rounabout without giving way to other oncoming  vehicles. This is one of the major causes of accidents in the country. The girls  just do not know how to yield . They just want to be home on time and fast.




I think that we need to have extra classes for these women drivers. They need to be retrained. I believe that most of the causes of accidents are the result of these drivers. I'm not trying to be sexist but it's the reality. Fast driving does not cause accidents as proven by the autobahns in Germany. They drive exceeding 100 mph but there  are very few accidents. We have among the highest accident rates in Malaysia and those creatures are the main culprits. Dear police officer! please monitor all those  women drivers.







No comments: